A diverse group of illustrators who need a place to post and critique work as well as share our knowledge

Friday, January 3, 2014

Panic! at The Gun Show


Good evening my good sirs and madams my name is Michael Kemp: Co(s)mic Illustrator.
here's a link to my website: mkempillustration.com


I just finished this  illustration about a month ago and entered it in a contest to hopefully be the cover art for AFI's new single "A Deep Slow Panic"  It went through a lot of different stages...


I initially envisioned it as a black and white graphite rendering but soon realized that I am more of a pen and ink kinda guy so I stuck to my usual method of focusing on the line work and coloring it in photoshop, this time around however I wanted to add an ink wash texture to the black-ness, so I did a few ink washes and scanned in my favorites and dropped um into photoshop which helped ad the "airiness" that I initially wanted to get with the graphite approach. 



I also made a pin-up for my friend's all-ages comic Ragged Rider : Tales of a Cowboy Mummy , I really enjoyed making my own type with brush and ink rather than digitally making the type (something I though I would never enjoy!)

Finally here is a promo cover and some character designs for a comic I am working on and hopefully will get developed enough to pitch to some companies. Working on having some more work form this project to show soon.



 Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment